Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tech R Us

It's been said that we are what we eat.

For people who practically eat and breathe technology, their choice of hardware, software and websites, for example, probably speaks volumes about who they are.

The rise of social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter offers a new way of self-expression, which, like it or not, can lead to some self exposure. Millions of people around the world have zealously extended their extroverted nature in cyberspace through these sites.

But there are also those who are just as passionate about not joining social networks. That, too, tells something about holdouts who will join Facebook only when pigs fly.

I am among the so-called Facebook and Twitter holdouts who simply don't find the whole idea all that fascinating. Last time I checked, Facebook and Twitter had 350 million and 44.5 million members, respectively. In a world with 6.8 billion people, how does that make me a holdout?


Even in the choice of social networking sites to join, personal tastes come into play. I dislike the ones where narcissists get together along with those who believe sharing what they had for dinner is productive. I try to find social networking services that are interesting without gobbling up my privacy and time.

For example, I keep a two-year old account in a hardly-heard social networking site called Shelfari which is focused on books. It doesn't matter to me that the site isn't popular; peer pressure is not reason enough to sign up. By the same token, not all businesses should be on Facebook or Twitter just because some companies are there.

Pick the social networking sites that will be useful to you beyond just keeping in touch. E-mail can do that job. Shelfari pulled me in because I love libraries and it lets me build a virtual library of books that I own -- read or unread. Shelfari is also a good tool to discover what new books are out there so I'll know what to look for the next time I find myself in a bookstore. And because I have a virtual library, I also can easily view an inventory of my books even when I'm not home so there's no risk of buying a second copy, unless it's a signed one.

Like all social networking sites, Shelfari also recommends connecting to other members, so it can become an online book club of sorts. I'm not too keen on this, as I don't care much about discussions that could spoil a book for me.

Meanwhile, I also just joined Dopplr, a travel related social site that I hope would finally help me make sense of my personal travel journal that has become far too disorganized over the years.

Again, individual tastes and needs plus personal finances, can also explain why we gravitate towards certain gadgets. For example, some people love netbooks because they're extremely portable and more affordable than full-sized notebook PCs, while some prefer basic mobile phones because smartphones exceed their requirements and probably also their budgets. As for me, my love for books makes me want to have my first e-reader soon and download legally free e-book titles that I like. I used to read classics from my old PDA until it died on me.

How about you, what technology characterizes you?

No comments:

Post a Comment