Friday, May 14, 2010

Delightful Dell Inspiron 14z

My favorite colors are brown and yellow but I got a lot of geeky stuff now in red.

My latest cherry red item is a Dell Inspiron 14z. I like it... a lot. It's a 14-inch laptop that packs all the necessary features I require. Let me enumerate these features: a widescreen HD WVGA display, a DVD+R dual-layer optical drive, a long-lasting battery, a 1.3 megapixel integrated Web camera, dual microphones, HDMI and VGA outputs, 802.11 a/b/g/draft-N wireless LAN and Gigabit Ethernet LAN connections, Bluetooth 2.0, three USB 2.0 ports (although I can sure use more), and a 7-in-1 media card reader.


This Dell replaces my two other notebooks with detachable optical drives. Because I always want my notebook to be light and slim, I went for models without the built-in DVD-R drives. I now realize it's not the most convenient design and the slim-fit proposition erodes when I have to lug the detachable optical drive in my bag anyway. Plus it needs an extra cable to connect to the notebook PC, and I hate cables so much!

The Dell Inspiron 14z solves that problem without being bulky. Sure the optical drive added a bit of weight, but not by much as the entire unit weighs 4.4lbs.

Under its hood is a 1.30 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 processor with a 3GB of memory, 4 GB of DDR3 RAM (supports up to 6 GB), a 320 GB 7200 RPM hard drive, an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD with 512MB of video RAM, and Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit OS. I'm iffy about the OS so I will likely move it up to Windows 7.

Now for the cons: the cherry red plastic cover is a fingerprint magnet and it also got what some geeks call "crotch speakers". Although stereo, the sound quality suffers somehow when the speakers are hidden that way. The keyboard is nice but I wish its backlit as I do a lot of typing at night under low light conditions.

True the Dell Inspiron 14z doesn't have all the bells and whistles present in more superior and super geek notebook PCs, but its looks and acceptable performance can make me whistle. However at P51,499, I also saw red of a different kind. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment