Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The rabbit

I was very happy the way 2010 ended for me in the gadgets department. I bought myself a new LG Optimus 1 Android smartphone and a new Samsung NX10 mirrorless DSLR camera. I also got a new Flip video camcorder, two other mobile phones, and at least two new computer notebooks. These devices ushered me in 2011 and, despite the new tempting arrivals that debuted in the recently-concluded CES in Las Vegas, they will be my work and play mates through most part of 2011.

The funny thing is no matter how many new gadgets I have, old technology has a way of creeping back in because new technology is not always great. For example, a few days into 2011 I finally accepted that my "digital" satellite TV service, Cignal, is really sucky in terms of content and basic customer service. No amount of denial could make me appreciate the kind of "digital" content they pre-selected to clutter my Sony Bravia LCD TV.


I'm a comedy and talk show kind of person. But Cignal one day decided to remove those kinds of shows in my subscription and replaced them with more cartoons and religious shows. I subscribed based on the list of shows they said they will offer. Nobody told me they could just wantonly remove programs that made customers to sign up. 

Now that I don't get them in my paid subscription, I went back to my traditional TV that delivers for free some of the same content I used to get from Cignal. The problem is I don't have aerial antennae to improve the reception in my cute LG vintage TV. Comedy and talk shows are like carrot sticks to me and the way to get them in my analog TV is to pull out the rabbit ears.

This amuses me to no end. Not only because I could now again watch the kind of shows that entertain me but the fact that I have ditched digital TV service for regular analog TV with rabbit ears. Could there be a better time for this to happen than in the Year of the Rabbit?

No comments:

Post a Comment