Sunday, August 29, 2010

Geekay explained

I should have done it when I started this blog, explain what "Geekay" means. For some reason, I was just thinking of local readers who I assumed would immediately pick up how I was playing with two words: one English (geek), the other colloquial Tagalog (Kikay) which describes a lady who is fond of all things nice, especially fashion and beauty.

If you search online you'd see that the term Geekay is not unique to me. There are people and companies that answer to the name Geekay in Australia, Bahrain, India, Austria, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, and even in the United States. I don't know the inspiration behind their use of the term geekay, but mine is simply the fact that there's a "kikay" in me for things geek. But because there are already geekay, gee-kay, gee kay and other variations of the name in the blogosphere, I could only get a green light for "geekayness". Do I like it? For all intents and purposes I prefer the short and succinct term, but the suffix somehow adds a little drama like "(her) highness", so I ran with it.

So, that's how Geekay or Geekayness came to be based on my own definition. Sorry, for the late introduction, but now you know why I call myself Geekay ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment