Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Samsung 3D HDTV -- I see 3D, people

Life is indeed full of surprises. Like if you told me 10 years ago that home TV viewing will become three-dimensional, I'd be surprised. So, imagine how pleasantly surprised I was to realize that 3D TV for the home is now possible. As I have probably said in this blog earlier, I don't fawn over every new technology or gizmo I see, but a 3D HDTV immediately landed straight on top of my list of crave technologies the moment I tested one.

It was about a decade ago when I first stepped inside an iMAX theater in Sydney, Australia -- which was along the Darling Harbour to be exact -- to watch a 3D documentary about elephants. The 3D glasses and my close proximity to the screen were overwhelming, but it was an experience worthy of a repeat as I paid iMAX several more visits abroad, until iMAX finally opened in Manila. Now more local cinemas are offering 3D screening which is cool, except for the exorbitant fees.

But wouldn't it be better if we don't have to step out of the house to watch something in 3D?

Just this month, three of the biggest TV giants -- Samsung, LG and Sony -- respectively paraded their 3D TV offerings. The first two already gave me a 3D sneak peek of their offerings. Samsung lent me their 40-inch LED HDTV and threw in three pairs of 3D glasses and some 3D movies for several weeks. Samsung actually sent over a 3D starter kit that contained two 3D glasses and Dreamworks' cute movie called Monsters Vs. Aliens. After the first try, I was hooked. I'm not a couch potato, but Samsung's LED C7000 HDTV turned me into one after the first movie.

It should be noted that this is just the beginning of 3D HDTV for the home and the technology would improve a lot more. Still, I'm already thrilled by this progress.

One thing I also appreciate about the Samsung C7000 is its ability to tweak regular TV programming from 2D to 3D with just a touch of a remote button and, of course, with the use of the 3D glasses. It was a cool effect and though it's not perfect, the images get an acceptable depth of field that make them look 3D. It just takes getting used to wearing the 3D glasses which use wristwatch-type of batteries or USB charger.


It's a pleasant surprise, really, that 3D TV for the home is now a reality. Did I say I now crave for it? But at P169,900 for the 40-inch model (the 46-inch costs P199,900) it would be short of a miracle if I get one soon. In the meantime, I encourage you to check out appliance showrooms and look for this product and that of the other brands, too, just to familiarize yourself on what, I expect, will become part of all our living rooms in the not so distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment