Thursday, December 17, 2009

Of socks and Christmas

A good week before Christmas and I find myself able to relax. I like it that my last magazine issue for the year is finished, my articles for the remaining days of the week are just waiting to be emailed to the newsroom, my gifts are all wrapped and ready for distribution, my refrigerator and cupboard are full of foodies, my Christmas ornaments all in place, and I can simply sashay through the remaining 7 days till Christmas like a child. The fact that I can pause to count my blessings now tells me that once again I have time in my hands and I promise to enjoy it.

Yesterday I attended what I believe is my last work-related parties for the year. I wore a new pair of strappies to the party and my feet never complained until I had to walk a bit to the mall to meet a friend. I should know that shoes in "break in" phase are not supposed to be for extended wear. By the time I got to my third stop, the grocery, my big toes won't stand for the pain anymore so I had to devise a way to get them out of the straps and still manage to walk. People are so busy buying their Christmas groceries that nobody noticed my queer shoe fashion.

The whole episode reminded me of the Vibram Five Fingers footwear. Voted by Time Magazine as one of the best inventions of 2007, Five Fingers is the next best thing to walking or running barefoot according to those who've tried it. I put comfort first before style in everything I wear, so this ultralight footwear appeals to me in that sense. Aesthetically it's too revealing for me and could be unflattering I think, but if I had Five Fingers yesterday when my feet were killing me, I'm sure I would have worn them gladly. After all, wearing them puts you in the company of successful geeks like Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google.

I don't know if there are stores selling Vibram Five Fingers here in Manila, and I'm not about to embark on a hunting trip to find out. Not during this crazed Christmas shopping time. So, I guess I won't be sashaying on Five Fingers this Christmas unless some "foot" fairy comes and fill my Christmas socks with this sock-free shoes that many now call their new "VFF".


No comments:

Post a Comment